Sunday, September 30, 2012

Citizen Journalism - Good or Bad?


I believe that the quality of the news had been both increased and decreased with the use of social media. I say this because some aspects of the news have been highlighted where others have been diminished. Some of the aspects of the news that have been highlighted would be how how new features are being added to the news to make them more assessable and more interesting. Social Media is adding more things to news like comedy, podcasts, and videos.   Podcasts make the news very accessible for people who are working or don’t have access to a computer at all times, this summer I would put my headphones in at work and listen to podcasts while I worked. They have different categories so you can choose what you would like to listen to for example: comedy, electronics, shopping. Social media is also making the news more exciting for younger audiences by making shows where they portray the news in a comedic way, shows like SNL, and the Late Night Show.

            On the other side there is the news where the quality is getting diminished or forgotten. With the increase of the social media making the news more comedic they are forgetting to portray the entire story. They only show the parts that are exciting, unique, or crazy. One problem with the podcasts is that not all of the broadcasters are professional journalists; rather they are citizen journalists, so not everything they say can be professionally written in a non-biased way.

So what I am trying to say is that I think that with the increase of citizen journalists they have both increased and decreased the quality of the news is being put out today.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you make an excellent point about the entire story not being portrayed. That its more comedic than anything. There is also the aspect that there are so many portrayals over the internet that the information gets skewed and distorted to the point where you don't even know what the original story was. Like a giant game of telephone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! You made a great point that the quality of media has both increased in decreased. But I feel it has a more negative effect with the power of spreading information that might not be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! With both your opinions!
    In todays day there is a lot of citizen journalism, who knows if what they are saying is even correct? Or if they are ripping somebody else off just so they look good..
    Either way! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post, I agree. It has increased and decreased, but I fell that its mainly decreased due the fact post stories are lacking the proper information and are full of rumours.

    ReplyDelete